Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I wonder how many times I will add to this blog today...hummmm.  Well, I talked with my chitlins about things I should put on our new blog and they had a lot of great ideas.  As it turns out, we are crazy busy in room 306!  We are constantly on the move - learning new things as much as we can.  

We have recently begun The Daily Five - a new approach to an old idea.  In The Daily Five, we concentrate on 5 things during our afternoon reading block.  
1.  Read to self
2.  Read to someone
3.  Listen to a book
4.  Write about your reading
5.  Word Study

While they are busy doing one of those five things - I am working with small groups in reading groups.  We are learning a lot about non-fiction books and will continue to do so throughout the year.  Ask your kids to list some of the elements of a non-fiction book.  Here are some things you might hear:  Table of contents, headings, labels, photographs, facts, maps, glossary, information about something real.  


No comments:

Post a Comment