Saturday, May 14, 2016

Mix Pair Share









This is one of my favorite things to do with my kids.  I learned it many years ago when I took a class at Spring Arbor College.  Here’s how it works:  I play music and the kids move around the classroom.  There are large rubber dots on the floor and when the music stops, kids need to find a dot and a partner.  They may not have the same partner again for the rest of the game.  When everyone is paired up (they raise their hands if they don’t have a partner and must search the room for someone to pair with) I ask a question.  They discuss the question, give their answers and go back to back with no talking when they are done.  I then call on someone and ask them to tell me what their PARTNER said!  The first time I do it, they are surprised and often have a hard time remembering.  We talk about the importance of listening to one another and talk about WHY it’s so important.  We continue playing, now with the knowledge that they REALLY must listen to their partner.  They don't raise their hands to be called on...instead, I pick at random!  If someone doesn't know the answer, they can ask their partner, or someone close to them!  J  I love every aspect of this game, but reporting what someone else has said is really fantastic.
  More music.  More dancing.  Stop!  More questionsrepeat!  It’s so much fun!  They LOVED playing on Friday and I’m sure we will continue to play in the coming weeks.  You can use this game for ANY subject and despite a TON of learning happening while we play, they are giggling and having a ball the entire time. 

Here are some of the questions I asked on Friday:
On our water trip, what was one thing you learned from Mr. Kangas?
List the great lakes.
What is a reservoir?
What are the oceans that touch the United States?
Name a sea or a gulf.
What is an aquifer?
What is surface water?
List 5 living organisms that live in the Huron River.



No comments:

Post a Comment