Saturday, November 5, 2016

Reading NONFICTION using
Time For Kids













Time for Kids is a great way for kids to learn more about what’s happening around the globe.  There was a lot of learning going on yesterday when we read about OCTOPUS (so many cool facts!) and CUBA (such a rich history!) in particular.  Kids soak up information like sponges and are able to rattle off facts after they’ve read with one another (they could also choose to read by themselves).  We read a fair amount of nonfiction in room 306.  I was always more of a fiction fan, but now have nonfiction authors I LOVE (Steve Jenkins is my favorite!) and I think it’s fun to learn about new animals, places, cultures, etc. with my kids.  Nonfiction is a great way to lure reluctant readers too.  So many fun facts to learn!  Who knew an octopus has THREE hearts or 262 suction cups PER arm!?  Did you know that the bongo drums originated in Cuba?  Totally cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment