Saturday, January 20, 2018

MLK




We continued to work on our MLK projects this week.  We read the book Sit-In How Four Friends Stood Up by Sitting Down by Andrea Pinkney and kids wrote short summaries about the book.  We continue to work on our summary writing skills – in PLTW and while reading books.  Figuring out the important parts of something can be tricky, so we spend a lot of time practicing.  We are also still really working on punctuation for every piece of writing we complete.  Checking for capital letters, if the sentences make sense, and if we’ve ended our sentence with a period, question mark, or explanation point is still something they need to work on. 

I’m still learning how Twitter works, but I find it interesting and love things that I encounter while surfing.  I found a painting, done by a 13-year-old last weekend that I couldn’t get out of my head.  I ended up having a conversation over Twitter with the artist and showed it to your kids on Tuesday.  We talked about what the painting meant to them, who they thought created it, and words that came to mind while looking at it.  They were amazed by the artists age and that spawned another great conversation about how powerful kids are – no matter their age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment