Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Welcome!  Happy New Year!
An early morning shot of Haisley on the first day of school 2016!

I am thrilled that you will be a part of my classroom.  I love being a teacher, and the beginning of the year is always so exciting.  It’s also exhaustingfor all of us!  Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have.  You can call, email, or stop in to see me before or after school.  I have been blogging about the things we do in our room for a few years now and I love it.  It’s a great way for everyone to see what we are doing in room 306.  Please share our blog with family members too!  Last year, a student’s grandparents in England were able to see what we were doing and it was a great way for them to have some insight into their grandson’s 4th grade world.  I will send emails that tell you about blog updates.  It’s always my intention to post at least weekly, but sometimes I get off track.  J 

In the beginning of August I attended a four-day workshop on Responsive Classrooms.  It was a WONDERFUL experience and I am really looking forward to implementing RC into my classroom this year.  I have done bits and pieces over the last two years, but am thrilled to have had the chance to have the complete training. 

One of the books I will be using a lot this year is The First Six Weeks of School  from Responsive Classroom.  Here is some information from this book:

The Responsive Classroom Approach
The RC approach teaches ways to teach children essential skills while incorporating fun activities into their learning.  It also structures the day in a way to help teach discipline, build academic engagement and form a strong sense of community.  This is an evidence-based way of teaching kids and offers wide varieties of ways to do so.  It focuses a lot on bringing the social-emotional and academic learning together throughout our day together. 
Goals for the first six weeks of school:
1.    Create a climate of warmth, inclusion, and safety.
2.    Teach classroom routines and behavior expectations.
3.   Help students get to know and care for the classroom and school environment.
4.   Establish expectations for academic work.

I look forward to an amazing year.  We are going to learn, laugh, make new friends, write a LOT, read a LOT, participate in exciting STEM activities, practice kindness, and much more.  YahOooO! 

A few things about Ellen O'Malley McGee
Here are some facts about me.  You might know some of the things, but you might not.  I hope you learn something!
1.    This is my 19th year teaching at Haisley.
2.    I have taught 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade.
3.   My husband’s name is Doogie and I have a Springer Spaniel named Presley Marie O’Malley McGee.  She’s adorable, but is also a dork.
4.   You may hear people (maybe even your own siblings!) calling me Ms. O’Malley.  That’s my name too.  I was Ellen O’Malley before I married Doogie.  Now, I’m Ellen O’Malley McGee. 
5.   I love to read books out loud.  I LOVE talking about the books we read, and I LOVE hearing what YOU think about the books we are reading together.  Of course, I love hearing about the books you read on your own too, but I really LOVE reading things TOGETHER. 
6.   I am a certified art teacher!
7.   I am a townie.  That means that I grew up here.  I went to Burns Park Elementary School, Slauson (it was a JR high back then), and Pioneer High School.  When I was in elementary school, it was kindergarten through 6th grade.  After 6th grade, we moved across town and I went to Slauson and then Pioneer.
8.   My favorite of the great lakes is Lake Huron.
9.    A few of my favorite hobbies are: writing, art, traveling, and photography.
10. 
I love going to the Ann Arbor Farmer’s Market and will bring
things in for you to try throughout the school year.  We’ll even get to visit!

Dear 4th Graders,
You are amazing.  What an amazing first day.  I am looking forward to an exceptional year of school together.  Here are some of the things I LOVED about today: 

YOU!  Each and every one of you made me laugh, smile and LOVE my job a little more with every moment we spent together.  You were amazing today!  I loved seeing you work hard, follow directions, greet old friends, and make new friends.  Thank you for your hard work, despite the heat!  Whew!  Don’t forget to bring water and dress for the weather tomorrow.  It’s going to be another hot one! 

What are YOUR favorites?  I can’t wait to hear about YOUR thoughts about our first day together. 

Love,
Mrs. McGee


Dear Parents,
Your kids are spectacular.  Thank you!  We had a wonderful first day of school.  I’m pretty sure that I will be asleep by 8.  Here are some questions you can ask that will help extract information!  J 

List 3 of your favorite activities IN room 306 that you did today.

Describe one thing you did today that you hope you will do again.

What’s Mrs. McGee like?  What’s something you learned about her today?

Tell me about the kids in your class.  Did you talk with anyone new today?  What’s one thing you did with a classmate today?

Choose 1 word to describe your day.

Name something you have in your classroom that you didn’t have last year.  (Besides Mrs. McGee!)

Here’s a picture of our schedule today.  You can use this to help you come up with questions too! 


I look forward to a wonderful year working together,


Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment