Sunday, February 24, 2019


Assessments
I am reading with everyone and assessing them for report cards.  Their level doesn’t define them as readers.  I will never share their reading levels with them, as it has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING they need to know.  I want them to read.  I want them to laugh while reading a book.  I want them to WANT to read.  I want them to be able to discuss their thoughts and feelings about a book.  I want to hear their excitement when they start a new book.  I never want them to compare themselves or worry about their reading level.  Ever.  It’s one part of who they are as a reader.  You CAN help them at home.  Read to them.  Let them read to you.  Talk about books YOU loved as a kid.  Talk about books you love NOW.  Ask questions about the books they are reading.  Read around them.  It’s important for them to see how reading is important to you, and your life. 
These assessments allow me to hear them read out loud to me.  I can see improvements they’ve made and love hearing them answer questions too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment