Saturday, October 13, 2018


Reading









Reading groups have officially started!  Reading groups come together in a wide variety of ways.  I do group them based on their levels, but they will also be grouped based on interests, selected skills to work on, and genre type.  This week, they selected a book from 6 different titles, completely on their own.  We discussed ways to choose books, and how to figure out if a book is too easy or too difficult, but I made it very clear that it was up to THEM to decide their book choice this time.  I also talked about moments when it will not be up to them, and every book we read may not be their favorite book they’ve ever read, but I will always try to find something they will enjoy.  Reading is SO much more than a level.  I work really hard to get them excited about reading.  If they are reading things they LOVE, that’s the absolute best way to get them to become lifelong readers.  Please ask your child about the book they chose.  Why did they pick it?  Do they like the book?  Have them SUMMARIZE what they’ve read.  Discussing books at home will help them become better readers AND better writers about what they are reading.  Ask your child who was the HEAD CHEESE in their reading group.  What does that person do?  :) 

We continue to use sticky notes to keep track of things we are reading, and will add things to our anchor chart as we meet in our groups and in whole-class mini lessons. 

Reading with our kindergarten buddies is also helping them get excited about reading.  This week, I read a book to the entire class and they spent time working on writing afterwards.  The book is called Idea Jar by Adam Lehrhampt.  I tweeted about working with our kinders and tagged him in my tweet.  Much to my surprise, he not only tweeted back, but he retweeted my tweet and is now following me!  J  One of these days, I’ll remember to tag EVERYONE in a tweet, like Mr. Watson and Ms. Levine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment