Sunday, October 21, 2018


Reading



Reading groups continue, and kids are enjoying their books.  Along with the books we read for our reading groups, we will also spend time reading and responding with an essay for short nonfiction pieces.  This week, we read a piece about The Seven Wonders of the World.  It was short, interesting, and kids loved discussing the article with one another.  We created a list of things that could be included in The Seven Wonders of Ann Arbor list.  What a fun exercise!  What would YOU put on YOUR list? 

During reading, we use INFERENCING skills a LOT. To demonstrate what it means to inference, I ask them to think about ME.  What do they know about me?  What do I use in my job?  What might I carry in my backpack?  They create a list of things they think may be in my backpack, and then we unpack my backpack!  SO fun hearing the things they THINK I have, and the things they KNOW I have.  Try it at home!  What could they use their inferencing skills at your house!?

No comments:

Post a Comment